Sunday, November 14, 2010

Hip Replacement week two

The entire week was about feeling better and better. The first days (Friday through Tuesday) after I came home I slept on a "deluxe" self-inflating/deflating air bed. I couldn't climb steps to my bedroom. I had to modify one of the downstairs toilets to install an elevated seat. This felt humiliating and triggered memories of the outhouses on our ranch when I was a kid. I felt better when I had to duct-tape the elevated seat onto the regular seat.
On Tuesday I was able to climb the stairs to my own bed!! The in-home therapist showed me how to climb stairs with the folded walker in one hand and using the hand rail with the other. I've never climbed Mt. Everest but in a smaller scale this achievement felt as good.
By Thursday I was given the go-ahead to toss the walker and use walking sticks!
On Saturday the in-home therapist gave me a "wow you've done good" pat on the back and signed off any further need for in-home therapy. Out-patient P.T next week after I go for my two week follow-up chat with the surgeon on Tuesday.
By today I'm walking unassisted but I carry the walking sticks for security. The pain is mostly aching joints and not much different than how my hip joints  felt before surgery. This should get better with time.

Thanks to all who have sent cards and well-wishes.

No comments: