Tuesday, January 11, 2011

The past is catching up to me

About three weeks after my surgery to just before Christmas I went into a highly functioning version of Rib Van Winkle. It was terrifying. I thought I was losing my mind or had all of a sudden gotten Alzheimer disease. It could be the result, I'm told, of a combination of anesthesia and the pin meds I was taking.  A rare but not unheard of side-effect. Each day was, in hindsight, like living inside of a child's jar of paint. Each day was a separate color. Only now am I able to recall what each of those days was like, who I talked to, who I might have insulted, what commitments I had made, etc. Each day I recall now is like looking into one of the individual paint jars. Even now I know what color it is (what I did that day) but I'm still having trouble using all of the colors to paint a coherent canvas of what those six weeks were like cumulatively.
My family did not notice other than to say that it seemed that the anesthesia had exacerbated my ADHD and I was more distracted and spacey than normal. But I wasn't keeping up with commitments, I wasn't opening emails or not responding to those that I did open. I would open an email from some store and not open very important emails from friends or family. So if I offended you or gave the appearance that I was shunning you I apologize. 
Other wise I'm recuperating quite well. I still have some weakness in the front of my hips but I've been able, with the help of some Ibuprofen, to start back into spinning. I started back the first Monday of the New Year. Before I had been working out at my gym. My surgeon went along with my recommendation that I go to P.T. and then use their exercises at my gym.  This saved both me and the insurance company a few bucks.

I wonder if Rip Van Winkle was really awake but not cognizant from a cumulative point of view of what he was , had been doing. Maybe he feigned sleep because it helped him hid his confusion.

1 comment:

Brenda Serotte said...

A Sephardic rancher? How interesting? Didn't know they existed. I should have known--Sephardis can do anything...
Brenda Serotte