Thursday, February 24, 2011

Testing the security risk of my new hips

Early this morning I flew to Las Vegas to meet another consultant on the Topoc Remediation Project. I've been working on this project since December of 2010 and he's been on it for a bit longer. The issue is an Erin Brokovitch Jr. Same issue--dumping of toxins that get into the aquifer--same company; different location. Topoc has a toxic plume of Chromium 6 in an aquifer that is about 300 or 400 meters from the Colorado River. CR 6 is lethal!
This case is not far enough along to report on and besides, even though it's a very serious environmental issue on the Colorado River, I really wanted to write about my first post-new hips airplane ride.

I thought I should get to the airport well before an hour prior to lift-off in case I got pulled out of line for the "full enchilada" security check. My flight was at 7 am, I got there at 545 and into the queue that would take me through the full body x-ray scan that Representative Chaffetz says invades his privacy. [what does he know?  He's the half brother of John Dukakis (ex actor)  and was the Utah Democratic co-chair in 1988 when his stepfather Michael Dukakis ran for president. Jason has since became a Republican won't talk about his past, and has been, prior to being voted in as Representative, the spokesperson for one of many multi-level marketing schemes that thrive in Utah County.] As I held my arms up and spread my legs inside of the x-ray capsule I wondered two things: Why does Jason protest so much (hiding something or,  maybe, almost nothing?) and who is the person looking at my naked ass on the screen? I really don't care. If they get a thrill out of my x-ray they need serious therapy!

I thought I would trip every alarm in the building when I stepped in to the machine. Because I've been profiled so often when I fly I thought maybe I should have come to the airport even earlier once I saw the long line extending down the hallway. The guy in front of me, who was indignant when they asked him to take off his belt, got my full body pat down and was led off to what I hope was just an interview and not a full body cavity search. After my x-rayI stood outside of the machine waiting patiently for TSA to direct me to the "full enchilada" station. When the TSA person growled at me to move along and pick up my belongings I felt confused and felt a keen sense of loss. No invasive pat down? No being pulled out of line and asked repeatedly what country I was from? No being asked humiliating questions?

So the only thing I can complain about are the morons who wear their day pack strapped to their back and forget that every time they turn in the aisle someone gets smacked by the pack. The other breed of morons are those who bring on a bag clearly to large to fit in the overhead bins but insist on cramming it in.

I would like to see my x-ray. I'd like to see how my prosthesis are doing. Has the bone grown over them like its supposed to?  Did the doctor really install titanium parts?  My hips are feeling better each day. Recovery from spinning takes less time and fewer Ibuprofen. I think my goal of being on my bicycle by the end of March may be reachable. Yes!!!

No comments: