Sunday, May 15, 2011

Riding again

I thought I would never ride my bicycle again. It has seemed like years since I put it away October 31st of last year, the day before my hip surgery. During my second post-op visit with the surgeon I asked him when I could get back on the bike.

"Do you ride in the winter?" he asked.
"I do but only when the roads are dry and it's in the high thirties or higher," I said.
"Think about it this way," he said. "the bones have not grown over the prosthesis and will not be finished growing for a few months. So, if you ride and fall in the next few months. . . . ."

So I didn't ride until last Thursday. The weather has been so strange and crappy that I wouldn't have been riding even if I had not had surgery. But the warm day was more than I could take. I've been driving my son Jake to meetings until his medical condition improves so I took my road bike with us. While he was in a meeting I road up and back the length of the Legacy Parkway bicycle path. It was wonderful. When I finished I felt high! It felt like that day in therapy when you finally see the light or that day when you know for sure that the anti-depressants have kicked-in.
I rode again Friday and today.  The weather is supposed to turn crappy again. Indeed, the wind is doing its best to blow the top soil from southern Utah, over Salt Lake, and on into Canada. I hope I can ride more this week, especially since the world will start to end next Saturday.

And the good news is that my hips haven't been hurting!! My butt on the other hand. . . . . .!

No comments: