Monday, May 9, 2011

Time flies

Paraphrasing Einstein liberally: time contracts or expands relevant to your viewpoint. For me it's been a few days since I last posted. It has been almost two months! In that time the moon has come and gone a couple of times and daylight savings time started again, evoking the annual argument with some family members: "Do we turn the clock forward or back?" And: "Will we be getting up an hour earlier or later?" This is a family who doesn't have the time to get involved in such time-wasting questions and arguments. Other questions: "Why doesn't Arizona and a couple of other states change? If it's 10 am PDST in L.A. what time is it in Phoenix?"
My response? Who ______ing cares?
But a lot has happened. I learned that Easter is as pagan as any other Christian belief.  First I find out that it's named after the anglo-saxon goddess Eostre. 
The First Council of Nicaea (325) established the date of Easter as the first Sunday after the 14th day of the first full moon (the Paschal Full Moon) following the northern hemisphere's vernal equinox.  Ecclesiastically, the equinox is reckoned to be on March 21 (even though the equinox occurs, astronomically speaking, on March 20 in most years). The date of Easter therefore varies between March 22 and April 25.
Gregorian Easter can fall on 35 possible dates—between March 22 and April 25 inclusive.[52] It last fell on March 22 in 1818, and will not do so again until 2285. It fell on March 23 in 2008, but will not do so again until 2160. Easter last fell on the latest possible date, April 25, in 1943 and will next fall on that date in 2038. However, it fell on April 24, just one day before this latest possible date, in 2011 and will not do so again until 2095. The cycle of Easter dates repeats after exactly 5,700,000 years, with April 19 being the most common date, happening 220,400 times or 3.9%, compared to the median for all dates of 189,525 times or 3.3%. (Wikipedia)

And I paid my taxes again. And I again chose to pay them on the last day of tax season. I've thought about just not paying them and seeing what might happen. Prison I suppose. But think about it: three square meals, a bed, and whether you want it or not all the sex you could ever ask for. Then I thought: if I went to prison who would want to have their way with someone as old as I am? Reality check!  Prison is not  full of intellectuals who carefully consider consequences. Old, young, who cares! Sex are Sex. It's probably why sheep kill themselves when they find out they're going to have to do time in a human prison. (But this begs the question: why don't all sheep migrate out of Wyoming and Montana?) Vulnerable is the key. And if I followed the Christian mantra of: "it is better to give than receive." I'd still be screwed! Age not only fogs the memory, but it also conspires with gravity to make some body parts sag, some without hope of resurrection.

In a way it's like the following story about one of my kinsmen.
The Jewish man finally has to put his aging father into a care facility but given his genetic guilt he comes back in the next day to check on his father.
"So, how was your first night, dad?" the man asks.
"It vas vunderfull," the old guy said. "This morning I woke up with the woody going full blast. The young nurse sees it and jumps on it. I tell you my son, life is gute."
A few days later the man comes back in to see his father. The old guy is clearly depressed. He has a bandage on his head.
"My god," the man said. "What happened to your head dad?"
"Yesterday I got out of bed, got dizzy and fell forward on my head and my gown flew over my head. It knocked me out for a few minutes. When I regained my senses one of the orderlies was having his way with me. Oy Vey!"
"I'm sorry dad but I guess you just have to take the good with the bad."
"Vat good, vat bad! I get the erection every two years and I fall down three times a day!"

No comments: