Saturday, August 21, 2010

End of segment two

Friday was the end of segment two of Killing My Legs to give My Ass a Ride quest. I rode into Spokane about 1 p.m. and rode just over the Idaho border to Post Falls. And then I came back to the west side of Spokane close to the airport. Today I will take my bicycle (Marquis de Sade) to the Bicycle Butler in NW Spokane and when I leave for Utah tomorrow I will leave the Humpbacked Machiavellian Bastard (trailer) at the Airport Econolodge and hope for the best for both. It is great that both businesses have agreed to help.
Have I found the Grail, enlightenment, a pot of gold or even a personal rainbow in segment one or two?
No, but I think I can see a glimmer of each starting to clarify in the next segments. I have seen and observed some very interesting things about the landscape, people, and myself. I have seen and talked with people of many backgrounds: Native Americans, recently made American immigrants, farmers, retired people, bus drivers, electricians, shop owners/workers, convenience store clerks, bank clerks, cowboys, cafĂ© owners, migrant workers, a skin-head, winos, and town employees, to name a few. I’ve discussed the state of our country with people who are involved in the Tea Party, Republican Party, Democratic Party, and many who would not commit to an affiliation.
They all have some things in common. Many more of them, than I would have thought, are trying to stay informed. They worry about the economy, many are very tired of war, some are worried about the atmosphere of divisiveness perpetrated by our leaders, others just want to make enough money to pay their bills and keep their house. Most are seriously influenced by the half-truths and innuendos that are the bulk of information found on talk radio, FOX and CNN, and the internet. (the guy in the room next to mine at the EconoLodge had talk radio on all night last night) Some don’t think President Obama is an American; others scoff at that idea, but most are starting to wonder if he has a vision for the country, if he has the pair he will need to guide us out of the quagmire we’re in. All most all agree that Congress: “stinks” sucks” “are a bunch of ____ing rich guys” “only care about lining their pockets” and in general should be kicked out. All are frustrated because they don’t know how to go about reforming a group of “corrupt and immoral” leaders who are in charge of reforming themselves. Most have the same feeling about state Legislatures.
I think I’m seeing a pattern. It has been hard to ask questions without inserting myself, my opinions, and my world view.
The landscape is as diverse as are the people: pristine coastline, rivers, forests, mountains, and high prairies and timber clear-cuts on private holdings and on public lands, acres of orchards with fruit of all types, grazed-out sites, and acres of wheat (more than I could imagine!), peas, hay. It is a land with a recent volcanic past. Basalt is everywhere. The landscape has been eroded by the wind, rain, ice, poor management, unplanned development, and most of all by time.
I didn’t know if I could get this segment done. I had planned a much longer time thinking I wouldn’t be home until the middle of next week. But in spite of trying to die of dehydration, developing a sore butt, etc I covered a lot of ground in a short time. Just in segment two I bicycled about 360 miles in five days and overall I think I’ve peddled close to 550 miles. I have to check my bicycle computer against Map Quest to see for sure. Especially since some of you have committed to supporting one of the charities I’m promoting by donating by the mile when I finally bail for good. Thanks to all of you who are stepping up to contribute.
I will return to the quest probably the second week in September. In the meantime I will populate other pages with ideas, thoughts, photos, etc and try to keep the energy of this blog flowing. Thanks for following and for your great comments. I will reply if I haven’t already in the next few days.

3 comments:

Kirstin said...

Hi AJ!
I've loved catching up with your travels today. What a terrific trip!
If you head east from Spokane for the next segment, be sure to ride the Hiawatha trail (rail to trail, 10 tunnels (bring your bike light) and 3 trestles and all downhill). We did this two weeks ago. And in Montana, stay with our family! They love company. Serious!

Anonymous said...

Dad-
get some saddle sore cream.

Anonymous said...

What a fantastic adventure. And a fun read! Thanks for sharing this with us.

Lynne