Monday, August 30, 2010

Why don't cyclists wave?

I’ve noticed that other than the one finger salute—a reaction to real or imagined conflict—most bicyclists do not acknowledge anyone, including fellow cyclists, when they meet on the road. Many don’t even look across the road/street at an oncoming bicyclist. Some will say “hey!” when they’re next to you waiting to blow a red light. I find that at best I acknowledge other cyclists with a head-toss, a salutation I learned from my cowboy grandfather. I studied the issue several times as I pedaled across Washington State and I came up with some possible reasons why we bicyclists aren’t a bit more friendly, show more camaraderie with fellow cyclists. After all, we seem to share the same passion.
I don’t or seldom wave because lifting one hand from the handlebars makes me feel insecure. At my age I’ve accumulated quite a bit of unmitigated insecurity and I’m not sure my therapist wants to hear it or if either of us will live long enough for me to download everything I have to tell him. So far we’re several years behind.
The number of miles I’ve ridden, how much lactic acid has built up in my quads, how bad my butt aches, or how gregarious I feel, are the factors I use to put effort into a head-toss. Am I the only cyclist that will admit to these physical and emotional limiting factors?
Cycling clothing fits a bit snug, maybe too snug, and it could be that the tightness is cutting off blood supply to the social part of our brain or causing enough discomfort that it makes us less social.
Cycling clothing is colorful but very expensive. Maybe cyclists are worried that if they wave they might tip over and ruin/rip/bloody their/our investment in overpriced togs.
Cyclists who purchase the incredibly expensive Tour d’ France riding clothing act like they’re riding in the Tour. Ask yourself the question: if you’ve just defrosted the freezer, removed the sofa cushions to remove a year’s supply of dog hair (and spare change), and are bored enough to watch the Tour, how many Tour riders do you see waving to the crowd? Even when they come in first they only wave when they’re wearing the yellow jersey. And because of the camera angle who knows who they’re really waving at?
I haven’t found a solution but I will go back and ride more and think on this some more. However, in the meantime, I would urge fellow cyclists to try to wave when a car driver gives us space on the road, lets us cut in even though we haven’t signaled, accidentally uses their signal light to inform us of their intent, isn’t weaving/texting, weaving/fighting with the kids, weaving/shaving, putting on lipstick, talking on a cell phone, or blowing a red light. Also, when cyclists blow red lights we should keep in mind that when two objects collide the one with the smaller mass absorbs quite a bit of the energy of the object with the larger mass!! Oh, and if you do wave with the one-finger salute make sure your mass can out run the larger mass, because it might just be pissed!!

If you're in Spokane and need you bicycle worked on or just want to meet some really accommodating bike shop keepers and workers, stop in at the Bicycle Butler at 6520 north Ash. www.bicyclebutler.com

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Having great fun following you and really enjoy your writing. Will you be in Missoula?
Tom (Sean's dad) and Jo