Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Monroe to Wenatchee WA in one day!!!

It might be the extra oxygen at the average elevation on the west side of the Cascades, but on Monday I pedaled along, stopping for breaks, and stopped to photograph a statue of Sasquatch at a kind of shrine. It was also the place where someone filmed Harry and the Hendersons(?).

I got my second wind just east of Skykomish close to the base of the really steep part. I started up the winding climb to Stevens Pass but even with the bail-out ring on the rear cassette, I had to bail and push my bicycle up the hill. I'd like to think that if I were 30 yrs younger, if I didn't have a completely full trailer to pull, and. . .and. . .and! But I'm not and along the way from 30 yrs ago I also have come to grips with the needs of my ego so I bailed and pushed. I hadn't pushed very long before an electrician stopped and offered me a ride to the top.  It didn't take me long to negotiate with my ego and pride. I unhooked my trailer and, with "Tom's" help loaded my stuff. In the 6 miles to the top I heard about Tom's two ex-wives, the poodle that he now lives with, the migrant camp that the "government" has put up for cherry-pickers close to Wenatchee, and things that he likes now which I can't print. Indeed, after mile 3 I was thinking I might ask to be dropped off and push the rest of the way up the hill. But I distracted myself and made it to the top of Stevens pass.
Should I camp or pedal off of the pass and see how far towards Wenatchee I could get. It was about 4:30. Have I mentioned that in general it is downhill all of the way from Stevens Pass to Wenatchee? So, I "let 'er rip! Every once in a while I stopped to check my brakes, watch salmon swim/jump up a fish ladder, stopped to check my brakes again, and once to make sure (as a member of the Utah Morality Posse) that a couple on a small beach had clothing on, and zoomed down the hill averaging 28 mph!!  At one point I was coasting at about 35 then I remembered a semi I saw in Utah that had jack-knifed due to his speed, so I slowed down.
Tom was correct about the migrant camp. There is a small tent city set up in a county park just west of Wenatchee.
Today (Tuesday August 17) I push to the top of the dry plateau between Wenatchee and Spokane. If there is w-fi along the way I will post.

 If you've donated to one or both of these non-profits, thanks.

4 comments:

FRED J WINKLER said...

I was reminded of another ride you hitched down in the Dolores River country. I remember a poodle being involved in that also.
FRED

Anonymous said...

first: you and that statue share some resemblance
second: was this before or after your visit with "Tom" cause you look like your getting friendly with the henderson statue.

Anonymous said...

Finally. And worth the wait to read it all. Thanks for card. Did you find yours? Be a SAFETY KID!! (ask C,M, or maybe even K for translation) Thanks for being Aje. Thanks for translating Aje. xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxox

Mark Bailey said...

Hey Sasquatch Man. I've been meaning to get this pledge out to you. Kirsten and I are in for 33 cents a mile to W@W for as far as you go. Hope you are logging the miles! Keep us "posted!"